There are many ways to enjoy tea other than just drinking it. Our friends at The Jasmine Pearl Tea Co. love to cook and develop recipes that utilize tea as an ingredient. Try this rich and decadent Black Wolf Cake — it’s perfect for a spooky Halloween treat! No tricks here!
Black Wolf Cake
Prep Time: 1 hour // Active Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients - Cake
- 1 oz. The Jasmine Pearl Black Wolf loose-leaf tea
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or dairy alternative such as oat milk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup and 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 1/2 cups blackberry compote (or fresh berries with a good amount of the liquid squeezed out)
- 1 batch Black Wolf Frosting (ingredients and recipe follow)
Ingredients - Frosting
- 3 tbsp cold The Jasmine Pearl Black Wolf brewed tea
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions - Cake
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Grease and flour two 9" round pans.
Make a strong cup of Black Wolf tea by combining loose-leaf tea and 1 cup plus 3 tbsp of hot water, allowing to steep for at least 5 minutes. Set aside 3 tbsp brewed tea for the frosting.
In a bowl, add sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift in the cocoa powder and stir into the mix.
Once the tea has cooled, add in the eggs, oil, brewed tea, and vanilla extract. With a hand mixer on medium speed (or vigorously by hand), combine for 2 minutes.
Pour the mixture evenly into two greased pans.
Bake for 28-30 minutes. Check center with toothpick for doneness before removing cake from oven.
Allow cake to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on wire rack.
Once cakes have cooled, use Black Wolf Frosting to put a thin layer on top of first cake round.
Spread berry compote on top of the thin frosting layer.
Add the second cake round on top of the first.
Use remaining Black Wolf Frosting to cover the entire cake.
If desired, finish with sprinkles, fresh berry garnish, or shaved chocolate pieces.
Directions - Frosting
Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl with the butter and whip together until smooth.
Stir in pure vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
Slowly add cold tea until you've reached desired consistency.
With a hand mixer, whip for 1-2 minutes until smooth again.
Enjoy frosted onto Black Wolf Cake, gooey brownies, or spread onto graham crackers for an afternoon snack.
Recipe from The Jasmine Pearl Tea Co.