Did you know that most loose leaf teas are meant to be re-steeped? The flavor of your tea changes with each steep, so when you use your leaves multiple times you’re actually getting a new experience in every cup. This also explains why high quality loose leaf teas are usually more expensive than single-use tea bags or sachets that may contain crushed tea leaves.
When you want to make your favorite tea last a little longer, give re-steeping a try! It’s a great way to get a better value out of your expensive loose leaf tea while savoring those hidden changing flavors.
Sips by is a personalized tea discovery subscription. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Subscribers receive four teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more here.
WHAT KIND OF TEA CAN I RE-STEEP?
You can successfully re-steep almost any type of tea made with whole or unbroken leaves. It’s a good idea to re-steep your loose leaf teas for the best flavor and liquor, but if your tea bags or sachets contain whole tea leaves you can definitely steep them twice.
Pu-erh and oolong teas are a perfect choice for re-steeping because they have unique flavors that change with each infusion, but most black, green, and white teas are also up to the challenge.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RE-STEEP MY TEA?
When steeped in a mug or infuser, most black, green, and white teas can be re-steeped 2-3 times. Pu-erh and oolong teas can even be re-steeped up to 10 times, depending on the type and quality. However, most herbal and flavored teas tend to lose potency after the first infusion so they are best enjoyed the first time around.
You can re-steep your tea leaves at least twice in a standard size teapot.
Also, when using some Eastern steeping methods such as gongfu cha, you can steep up to 10 cups of tea within 30 minutes using limited quantities of water in a small brewing vessel called a gaiwan.
I used to never feel like I could re-steep my tea leaves but by following these few simple steps I now get to enjoy the most out of my favorite teas!
- Use our How to Steep Tea guide to make your first cup. No matter which type of tea you are steeping, it will let you know the perfect length of time and water temperature you can use.
- After your first infusion, remove the tea leaves from your mug or teapot right away. You can keep them to the side until you’re ready to re-steep, but make sure to reuse your wet leaves within 1-3 hours or the delicate flavor in your leaves will start to break down.
- When you’re ready to enjoy a second cup, start by heating fresh water at a slightly increased temperature than the first time. Next, re-steep the tea leaves by adding 1-2 minutes onto the original steeping time to retain a full-bodied flavor from your tea. Don’t worry, the tannins in your tea are released the first time around so it shouldn’t result in a bitter cup.
STEP FOUR: ENJOY AND REPEAT
- Everyone likes their tea differently! Follow your taste buds and re-steep your tea as long as it still tastes good to you.
HOW TO MAKE RE-STEEPED ICED TEA:
- To cool down with some refreshing iced tea, you can also choose to re-steep your tea leaves in cold water and leave in a sealed pitcher in the fridge for one day. After it’s finished steeping, strain the tea over ice and enjoy.
- Optional: Add fresh lemon slices, mint leaves, or fruit such as orange, raspberries, or blackberries for fun flavor combinations.
The statements in this post have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Whether you’re a tea head or a tea novice, the Sips by Tea Shop sells all types of tea from the best tea brands. We’ll teach you how to make the perfect cup of tea, whether you’re using loose leaf tea or bagged tea, whether you want the benefits of black tea or the benefits of green tea, or whether you prefer hot tea or iced tea. Need an extra energy boost? We’ve got caffeinated teas like black tea and green tea. Want to savor a comforting mug at night? We have herbal and caffeine free teas. Discover the world of tea with white tea, oolong tea, pu’erh tea, rooibos, cacao tea, and more.
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more here.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.