Every tea drinker needs a few staple types of tea in their tea collection. For some tea lovers, these classics range from a bold, energizing black tea to a nice, refreshing peppermint — but a caffeine-free tea suitable for drinking any time of day is a must, too! The cozy comfort of tea should be enjoyed from morning, noon, to night, without caffeine getting in the way.
As much as we love a delicious sleepytime tea, caffeine-free teas are blended for every time of day and mood. Learn all about the world of flavorful and healthful caffeine-free teas blended to melt away stress, give you energy, soothe when you’re sick, and more!
Sips by is a personalized tea discovery subscription. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Members receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscription service.
Best Caffeine-Free Tea Shop
Discover the best caffeine free teas as rated by Sips by's 1,000,000 tea-loving Members. From loose leaf herbal tea to bagged herbal tea, these are the best herbal teas from different tea brands around the world. Find your favorite herbal tea, from fruity herbal tea to spicy herbal tea, from chamomile tea to sleep tea to teas for anxiety relief. These teas are naturally caffeine-free with many health benefits. No matter the type or flavor of herbal caffeine-free tea or caffeine-free tea brand you're searching for, Sips by has options you'll love. Discover your new favorite caffeine-free tea today.
What Is Caffeine-Free Tea?
True teas like black tea, green tea, oolong, and white tea are made from the leaves of the naturally caffeinated Camellia sinensis plant. Caffeine-free teas, on the other hand, are made from alternative plants, roots, fruit, flowers, herbs, and spices. Common caffeine-free teas are made from ingredients like rooibos, chamomile, mint, hibiscus, ginger, and turmeric.
Caffeine-free tea offers alternative options to those with caffeine sensitivities or if you simply want to enjoy more tea throughout the day without experiencing the negative effects of too much caffeine. Though tea does have significantly less caffeine than coffee, drinking too much (exceeding 3-4 cups of caffeinated tea a day) can still increase your heart rate, jitters, anxiety, and cause disrupted sleep.
Health Benefits of Caffeine-Free Tea
Looking for a natural wellness supplement to add to your daily routine? Caffeine-free herbal teas are brimming with nutrients and antioxidants for a range of unique health benefits! Caffeine-free herbal teas can boost your immune system, be naturally energizing, soothe aches and pains, treat headaches and migraines, ease sore throats, have digestive benefits, prevent chronic diseases, regulate blood sugar levels, increase mental clarity, and more! Plus, they are hydrating and taste delicious when steeped in a warming tisane or refreshingly brewed over ice.
Best Caffeine-Free Teas
Don’t feel limited by the label “caffeine-free” - one of the best qualities of tea is the sheer variety! With thousands of blends available you can always find a tea tailored to your health needs, caffeine preference, and of course, taste. Here’s our roundup of the best caffeine-free tea flavors list for every need, from the sweetest herbal teas or the best caffeine-free teas for energy, to the most refreshing and calming blends from the best caffeine-free tea brands.
CAFFEINE-FREE TEA FOR ENERGY: It’s a common misconception that caffeine is the only way to get a boost of energy from a beverage. In the long run, cutting back on caffeine will actually give you more natural and sustained energy! Check out these revitalizing caffeine-free tea blends crafted with energizing natural ingredients.
CAFFEINE-FREE TEA FOR STRESS: The simple act of taking a moment to prepare a cup of tea and slow down can help to relieve stress, reduce anxiety, and leave you feeling a little more balanced. Check out these calming caffeine-free tea blends to help you relax and unwind.
CAFFEINE-FREE TEA FOR SLEEP: Caffeine-free tea helps you achieve a regulated sleep schedule and increases the quality of your sleep. Health experts recommend switching to caffeine-free beverages at least 4-6 hours before bedtime and with tea blends as delicious as these, we don’t mind! Caffeine-free teas proven to aid in better sleep contain chamomile, valerian root, lavender, lemon balm, and passionflower - or a combination of several of these ingredients and more.
CAFFEINE-FREE TEA FOR A SWEET TOOTH: Craving something sweet? Here are the best caffeine-free blends that’ll satisfy your sweet tooth without keeping you up all night.
Are All Herbal Teas Caffeine-Free?
Are “caffeine-free teas” and “herbal teas” interchangeable? While most herbal teas are caffeine-free, not all of them are caffeine-free. Herbal teas, or tisanes, are crafted from herbs, roots, flowers, spices, and fruit instead of the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The vast majority of these natural blends are void of caffeine, but a few select plants used to make herbal teas are naturally energizing with caffeine! Yerba mate, guayusa, and yaupon are the main exceptions to the rule, as these caffeinated hollies are used to make earthy and smooth energizing herbal teas. Plus, guarana is an Amazon plant with the highest concentration of caffeine out of any plant, and guarana seeds can be mixed in herbal blends.
Caffeinated Herbal Teas
- YERBA MATE: A naturally energizing herbal tea made from a South American holly with an uplifting effect. Yerba Mate is a traditional South American drink brewed and served in a cup called a gourd with a bombilla straw.
- YAUPON: A naturally energizing herbal tea made from the leaves of a North American holly with a sweetly roasted or bright, vegetal flavor. Yaupon is the only naturally caffeinated plant native to North America.
- GUAYUSA: Guayusa is a rare, naturally energizing herbal tea made from an Amazon rainforest holly with a clean, slightly bitter and earthy flavor.
- GUARANA: Guarana seeds come from the fruit of a climbing plant native to Brazil. It has the highest concentration of caffeine out of any plant and is often an ingredient used in energy drinks and blended in some herbal teas, however consuming too much can be dangerous.
Try more caffeinated herbal teas with your own Sips by Box.
How to Make Caffeine-Free Iced Tea
When you’re craving something cold, a refreshing caffeine-free herbal tea is the perfect go-to drink. Learn how to make a tasty caffeine-free iced tea brewed exactly to your tastes!
Caffeine-Free Iced Tea
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Kettle or pot to heat water
- Caffeine-free tea leaves, sachets, or bags
- Teapot with filter, teacup, or your favorite mug with an infuser
- Optional: Extra herbs, fruit, or flowers
1. HEAT WATER
- Bring your freshly drawn water to a light boil, from 200°F-212°F.
2. CHOOSE HERBAL TEA BASE
- Choose your caffeine-free herbal tea base - are you craving a fruity hibiscus, spicy ginger, calming chamomile, smooth rooibos, zingy peppermint, or something else? Steep 1-3 teaspoons of the selected tea in 8-10 oz. of water for 3-7 minutes.
3. ADD EXTRA HERBS, FRUIT, OR FLOWERS
- Get creative! Caffeine-free teas blend wonderfully with herbs, fruit, and dried flowers for a unique taste crafted exactly to your tastes. If you're craving a fruitier iced tea we recommend adding mango, blueberries, peach, strawberries, or raspberries. Or, if you like your tea a little more floral or savory we recommend adding food-grade lavender buds or rose petals to your brew or extra aromatic herbs such as mint, lemongrass, rosemary, and basil.
4. POUR OVER ICE
Once your tea has steeped to perfection, strain and allow it to cool for at least five minutes before pouring over a cup of ice.
5. SWEET OR UNSWEET?
Your tea can be sweet or unsweet - you decide! Leave your brew as is or add a touch of honey, raw sugar, or agave to sweeten it up.
Finally, give your tea a good stir and enjoy!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Stress Relief Tea Collection
Explore the Sips by stress relief tea collection to find teas to help reduce stress and anxiety, from soothing chamomile blends to bath teas for relaxing soaks to teas that help you sleep. Discover the best herbal tea for stress relief, like herbal relaxation teas, the best tea for relaxation, and more tea to calm you down.
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscription service.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.