Photo Credit: Minimalist Baker
Rooibos and apple cider are a super fine pair in this delicious hot cider. There are many different ways to make a cider and this is up there with the best of them. Enjoy this cider as a virgin drink, or spike it with a shot of bourbon or whiskey. Both ways are delightful, be sure let us know how you like it best in the comments!
Red Hot Rooibos Apple Cider
Makes 2 glasses // Prep Time: 10 minutes // Active Time: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2 rounded tsp loose leaf or 2 sachets/bags rooibos tea
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 apple, washed and sliced
- A couple pinches of ground cayenne pepper or black pepper (or both)
- 2 oz bourbon or whiskey (optional)
- Honey or maple syrup to taste
Heat the water to 212°F and steep rooibos tea for 7-10 minutes. Remove (strain) tea and set to the side for now.
In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, ginger, apple slices, and ground peppers. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Then remove from heat, add in the steeped tea, give it a good stir and strain into two mugs.
Add in the shots of bourbon or whiskey (1 oz each, or more if you'd like), and honey/maple syrup to taste, and garnish with a cinnamon stick (also useful for stirring) or apple slices. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker