Scones are the signature tea time treat, especially when paired with delicious jam and homemade clotted cream. You can follow the basics of this trusty recipe, but feel free to be creative and show your personality by making it your own. For instance, you could mix in a fragrant chai or Earl Grey tea, infuse them with lavender, add your favorite berries, or drizzle a citrus glaze on top — the opportunities are endless!
Sips by is a personalized tea discovery subscription. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Members receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscription service.
Classic Teatime Scones
Makes 18 scones // Active Time: 20 minutes // Cook Time: 15-25 minutes
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- Good pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Mix the sour cream and baking soda together until it becomes fluffy with a few air bubbles.
2. Stir your dry ingredients together well in a large bowl - flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add butter and start incorporating with a pastry blender.
3. Mix egg in with the sour cream and baking soda. Pour into your flour mixture and combine. Tip: don’t overwork the dough so it stays dry and light!
4. Optional: sprinkle in your favorite tea, fruit, herbs, or flowers to make this recipe your own!
5. Spread out dough until it is approximately 1 inch thick and stamp using a round cutter.
6. Bake at 350°F on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet for 15-25 minutes until slightly golden on top.
7. Share and enjoy with a nice cup of tea!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
We recommend pairing your homemade scones with these classic afternoon teas!
SHOP EARL GREY TEAS
Discover the best earl grey teas as rated by Sips by's 700,000 tea-loving Members. From loose leaf earl grey tea to bagged earl grey tea, these are the best earl grey teas from different tea brands around the world. Find your favorite earl grey tea, from lavender earl grey to earl grey cream, with the caffeine you need to jump start your day. No matter the type of earl grey you're searching for, Sips by has options you'll love, whether you drink your earl grey black or you make a London Fog.
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscription service.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.