Beginning a calming daily tea routine can help create structure and settle anxieties. Whether you want to have a cup before bed to help you sleep or a warm mug to gently start your morning, we have a few tips to help you take a moment to center yourself. From the best types of tea to help instill a sense of calm to the treats that pair best with them, these are our top 7 tips for starting a calming tea routine to soothe everyday stress and anxiety.
Sips by is a personalized tea discovery subscription. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Members receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscription service.
1. Use Tea in Your Bath
Want to take your calm game to the next level? Try adding tea to a hot bath. Create your own at home aromatherapy experience with ingredients you already have on hand. While you’re at it, read a book or listen to a podcast. Stress doesn’t exist in the tub.
2. Journal While You Sip
3. During the time you set aside for your cup of tea, why not also get into the habit of journaling. Whether you want to chronicle your days or just keep track of new teas you’re trying, journaling can be a calming practice that focuses your attention. Plus, you’ll end up with a record of this part of your life that you can look back on.
4. Turn the Process of Preparing Tea into a Meditation
Drinking tea can be a great way to practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is a practice that can help you focus on the present moment by acknowledging the senses. So when you brew a cup of tea, you can think about what the tea smells like, notice the shape and color of the tea leaves, listen to the sound of the kettle as your water heats, and taste the flavors of the tea. This practice is a simple way to meditate, and can help put your mind in a calm state.
5. Use Your Favorite Teaware
There’s something so soothing about getting to use your favorite mug or teapot. Whether it has sentimental value or if it’s a beautiful handcrafted work of art, your favorite mug can boost your mood (and feel just right in your hands). It’s the little things that make ordinary moments like your afternoon cup of tea feel special.
6. Make it a Special Treat
Add some honey or sugar to your tea to sweeten up your day. It’s nice to give yourself something to look forward to. In need of extra cheering up? Drink your tea with an extra treat, like some shortbread or a stroopwafel. Cookies were made to be dipped.
7. Drink Tea Before Bed
These days, when you might be spending more time at home than usual, it’s important to create separation between your nighttime routine and your work space. One way to do this is to wind down each night with a cup of tea, away from screens. Sipping on a soothing cup of tea can be a great way to clear your mind and prepare for slumber. Brew yourself a mug of a blend that encourages restful, deep sleep and read a good book.
Best Teas for Stress and Anxiety
A calming cup starts with what you brew. Looking to naturally soothe? Try one of these teas with properties that aid in relaxation:
- The TeSpa Lavender Te: The scent of lavender has been used to relieve stress and to send people into better, deeper sleep, so what could be better than a calming, fragrant cup of lavender tea? Lavender has even been shown to relieve physical signs of stress by helping to lower blood pressure and heart rate.
- DAVIDsTEA Tulsi Tranquility: This caffeine-free herbal blend includes rosehips, rose petals, strawberries, and tulsi. Tulsi, also known as holy basil, is an adaptogen thought to help relieve anxiety and stress. Plus rose hips are rich in antioxidants like vitamin C, which can reduce inflammation and boost your immune system. Interested in tulsi? You can also try Organic India’s Tulsi Ashwagandha.
- Yogi Sweet Clementine Stress Support: This fruity herbal blend contains ashwagandha, an herb used in Ayurveda. It helps to relieve stress, fight inflammation, and even reduce cortisol levels. Brewing up a cup is like taking a breath of fresh air.
WELLNESS TEA SHOP
Discover new wellness teas for you to enjoy, relax, and feel better. Shop caffeine-free teas, herbal teas, and more. Explore our latest tea collections meant to help your overall wellness in areas like skin health, energy, digestion, headaches, allergies, and sore throats. Explore these and more in the new Wellness Tea Shop!
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more about our tea subscriptions.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.