Skin often reflects inner health, so nourishing your body with tea can have a powerful impact on your skin. So many teas are naturally loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which have positive skin benefits. Not only is tea awesome to drink, but it can also have benefits when used topically thanks to its ingredients, whether it's as a facial steam or used in the bath. No matter what your skin might be needing, here are our top picks for teas to add to your skincare regimen.
FOR CLEAR SKIN:
You can help clear congested skin by using detoxifying teas like burdock root and dandelion. Peppermint tea is also a great choice for breakouts because it's naturally antiseptic, which means it’s a great tea to apply topically. Try our Green Tea Lemon Balm Steam, to help clarify skin without drying you out.
- Organic EveryDay Detox Lemon by Traditional Medicinals: With both burdock root and dandelion, this tea is naturally cleansing for your skin, while also helping to support your liver and kidneys in your body’s natural detoxification process. This caffeine-free tea has a pleasant lemon flavor.
- Organic Beauty Me Tea by Full Leaf Tea Company.: Specifically designed for clear skin and healthy hair, this tea contains both burdock root and dandelion. It also has tulsi, a natural antibacterial, as well as skin-healthy alpha hydroxy acid and zinc thanks to its rooibos tea base.
- Tulsi Cinnamon Rose by Organic India: The tulsi and peppermint in this tea are awesome for helping to balance out your skin, while rose and chamomile naturally soothe.
When you’re dealing with dry skin, drinking tea is a great way help you stay hydrated. Chamomile, green tea, and nettle leaf are all soothing for skin that needs a little extra love. Try this green tea moisturizer to nourish skin, or cleanse skin without stripping it of moisture with this green tea facial cleanser.
- Cinnamon Vanilla Healthy Skin by Yogi Tea: In addition to nettle leaf, this tea contains mullein leaf and Schisandra berry which are used in Ayurvedic medicine to moisturize the skin. Plus, we love the delicious cinnamon and vanilla taste!
- Clean Matcha Green by Pukka: This tea contains both green tea and nettle leaf to help provide moisture and prevent your skin from getting further dried out and has a bright lemon flavor.
- Beauty Sleep by The Republic of Tea: This caffeine-free tea is perfect before bed, with the addition of chamomile and rose soothing the skin, and hibiscus to leave you glowing. Plus, it contains bamboo which has silica, an ingredient that can promote skin regeneration.
FOR CALMING IRRITATED SKIN:
Whether you’re dealing with rosacea, spent a little too much time in the sun, or just have sensitive skin, many teas contain ingredients that can help to calm skin. We suggest licorice root and calendula as the gentlest, while ginger can help even out skin tone and protect your skin from additional environmental damage.
- Maghreb Mint by Rishi Tea: This well-balanced tea has skin-soothing ginger as well as fennel, while the peppermint can help to cool and calm the skin, reducing redness.
- Golden Mylk by Aesthete Tea: This tea blends turmeric and ginger to make a soothing, anti-inflammatory tea. Great for calming your skin and your mind.
FOR HORMONAL SKIN:
If you’re someone who deals with monthly breakouts, you know just how much your hormones can stress your skin. Spearmint, jasmine, and red clover are all great teas to help balance your skin - and body.
- Jasmine Silver Tip by Smith Teamaker: This calming tea is full of renewing jasmine blossoms as well as green tea, which can be helpful in balancing hormones.
- Get Clean by The Republic of Tea: With red clover as well as burdock root, this tea helps your body to rid itself of what it no longer needs. Plus, we love the vanilla and almond flavors.
FOR BRIGHTENING YOUR COMPLEXION:
With so many vitamins and essential amino acids, tea is great for giving you a glow. We love hibiscus, matcha, white tea, and rooibos teas here, all of which are loaded with antioxidants. You can get more out of the power of hibiscus tea in this brightening hibiscus mask.
- Natural Glow by The Tea Spot: Beautiful white tea leaves sprinkled with sensuous exotic osmanthus blossoms will leave you feeling renewed. Promote your beauty from within with this delicious boost of natural antioxidants.
- Soothing Rose Hibiscus Skin Detox by Yogi Tea: With rose, hibiscus, and green tea, this is a great sip for healthy, nourished skin. Plus, red clover, burdock root, and dandelion help to detoxify skin, leaving you looking bright.
- Organic The Glow by DAVIDsTEA: Specifically designed for glowing skin, this tea has ingredients chosen to give your skin a glow like rose petals, rosehip and marigold, as well as antioxidant rooibos.
FOR TIRED SKIN:
Because tea is so high in antioxidants, it’s awesome for helping to fight off free radicals and protect your skin against the signs of aging. Here, we recommend rooibos, white, and oolong, and rosehip teas to encourage renewal. To show your skin some extra love, try this white tea skin repair mask.
- Organic Rooibos Tea by My Red Tea: Rooibos is an amazing caffeine-free source of antioxidants, and this tea is frequently used in South Africa for skin health, as well as other health benefits. Because it’s pure rooibos, this tea is a great one to use in Hibiscus and Rooibos Bath Tea.
- Blackcurrant Beauty by Pukka:Soothing, skin-nourishing rosehips combine with hibiscus and beetroot in this truly delicious and gorgeous tea. Plus, orange peel helps to protect your skin against further damage.
- Blueberry Acai by Tea Drops: White tea is the base of this tea, which is great for countering pigmentation and wrinkles due to all those antioxidants. Blueberry and acai add flavor, as well as even more antioxidants to this tea.
GLOW TEA BOX
Get ready to glow! These teas will make you feel that fresh, sunshine-y summer glow that’s all around us this time of year. Drink it all in, and feel yourself start to radiate from the inside. The Glow Tea Box also includes a simple tea-infused face mask recipe you can make at home to give your skin that dewy summer glow to match.
The statements in this post have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more here.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.