We’ve all dealt with nights tossing and turning when you can’t seem to get the sleep you so desperately want. And while you might just feel a little more tired the next day, over time it can lead to more sleepiness during the day, difficulty concentrating and feeling fuzzy-headed, and even feeling more anxious, depressed or irritable. But, we also know that there are a number of reasons why you could be having trouble getting that deep, restorative sleep. No matter what you’re feeling, these teas can naturally help you sleep. These teas can help you combat common causes of sleeplessness, one cup at a time.
Sips by is a personalized tea discovery subscription. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Subscribers receive four teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more here.
BECAUSE YOU’RE STRESSED:
Stress is perhaps one of the most frequently given reasons for sleeplessness, which can make it difficult to relax before bed or cause you to wake up during the night. Luckily, herbal teas can be a great way to reduce stress throughout the day, as well as to help you naturally wind down before bed.
- CHAMOMILE: Chamomile is a go-to for reducing stress and promoting sleep because it acts as a mild tranquilizer. This is due to its content of apigenin, an antioxidant that binds to stress receptors in your brain, which helps your body to relax. Try it in Snooze - Sleep Tea by teapigs.
- ROSEHIP: Another soothing tea for stress, rosehip tea is naturally caffeine-free, making it a great tea to enjoy before bed. With a gentle floral flavor, it’s high in antioxidants as well to help protect your body from the effects of stress while relaxing you to sleep. Try Rosehip, Hibiscus & Cherry by Ahmad Tea.
- TULSI: Tulsi or holy basil tea is often used in Ayurvedic medicine. In addition to its benefits in helping with relaxation, it can help to soothe your digestive system as well as help to protect your body against the effects of stress. Grab it in La Vie En Rose by Aesthete Tea which also contains fennel to help you sleep.
BECAUSE YOU’RE ANXIOUS:
More intense than stress, anxiety might show up with thoughts that you just can’t let go of, or physical symptoms like shakiness, shortness of breath, and digestive issues, all of which can make it difficult to drift off into sleep. If you deal with nighttime anxiety, tea can be a great part of your evening routine along with other relaxing rituals like a warm bath or meditation.
- CATNIP: Although you might think of catnip for the way that it gets your furry family member going, it is a natural sedative in humans, and can help to reduce restlessness and nervousness, as well as help with sleep. It can also help to soothe the digestive system, which is helpful if you have a turpsy tummy thanks to anxiety.
- PASSIONFLOWER: The plant passionflower helps to increase GABA production in the brain, cutting down on stress and anxiety while providing a sense of calm and helping with sleep. It can also help to improve your overall sleep quality and reduce pain. Try Deep Sleep by Crooked Crows which contains passionflower aerials as well as other soothing ingredients.
- PEPPERMINT: While you might often think of peppermint tea as being uplifting, it also helps to calm tension and soothe nerves. Plus, because it’s naturally caffeine-free, it won’t keep you up. It’s also great for headaches if your anxiety is causing shoulder and neck stiffness, resulting in a tension headache. Try Sweet Peppermint by Tea Drops.
BECAUSE YOU’RE TOO AMPED UP:
Maybe you’ve had an exciting evening, or the second your head hits the pillow, you seem to start getting all these great ideas. When your body and mind just won’t stop going, these teas will help you get the sleep you need.
- VALERIAN ROOT: One of the most powerful herbs for sleep, valerian root is thought to increase GABA levels in the brain, which helps with relaxation and sleep. Because of this, it works best if you make this tea a regular habit. Try it in Valerian ZZZs Sleep Tea by Tea and I, a caffeine-free blend specifically crafted for sleep.
- LIME FLOWER: Lindenflower ,or lime flower, is lightly sweet, and is great for helping to reduce tension and promote relaxation. Plus, it’s great for rejuvenation, meaning that it can help you put all those great ideas into action the next day because you’re taking the time to take care of your body.
- LAVENDER: One of the best herbs for relaxing your mind, the scent and sip of lavender can help you let all those thoughts go. Plus, it can help reduce inflammation and boost your immune system to help your body repair itself while you sleep. Try it in Lavender Té by TheTéSpa, which also contains calming lemon balm.
BECAUSE YOU’RE ACHY:
Whether you’ve got a bad back, restless legs, or are fighting something off, it can be difficult to relax when you’re dealing with pain - or it may even wake you up at night. Try these teas to help relax tense muscles and reduce inflammation.
FENNEL: In addition to being great for digestive health, slightly sweet fennel is reminiscent of licorice and helps to relax muscles and reduce inflammation. It also helps to detoxify the body, which can further help to fight inflammation and stiffness while you sleep. Try it in Organic Lemongrass, Ginger & Cinnamon by Oteas.
- LEMON BALM: Lemon balm tea is soothing and helps to calm the nervous system, which can help reduce pain and improve sleep. Plus, it helps reduce inflammation to help with pain long-term. Try it in Happy - Uplifting Tea by teapigs, which also contains turmeric.
- TURMERIC: Turmeric is well-known for its effects in reducing inflammation and supporting joint health, but it’s also great for sleep because it contains curcumin, which helps your body to produce more calming serotonin. Reap the benefits of turmeric in Turmeric Chai by Chico Chai that contains the additional benefits of rooibos.
BECAUSE YOU’RE CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET:
We get it: maybe you’re not really hungry, but you’re looking for something sweet. Or maybe dinner wasn’t quite enough but you don’t want something too heavy before bed. Try curling up with one of these herbal teas, combined with steamed milk for a caffeine-free latte if you’d like!
- ROOIBOS: Naturally caffeine-free and packed with antioxidants, rooibos is a great before bed choice. Try Organic Rooibos Tea by My Red Tea for a pure rooibos straight from South Africa or Organic Rooibos Vanilla by Oteas, depending on what you’re craving.
- CHAI: Caffeine-free chai is a comforting sip that makes a great tea to sip before bed. Plus, all those spices have so many health benefits like reducing inflammation and boosting your immunity. Try Herbal Chai by Aesthete Tea - a delicious caffeine-free chai blend with antioxidant-rich properties.
- CACAO: Cacao is loaded with antioxidants and theobromine, a feel-good ingredient that can help you wind down for the night. Enjoy it in its purest form with Cacao Tea by MiCacao, which uses the husks of 100% organic cacao beans.
BECAUSE YOU OVERDID IT ON CAFFEINE:
Caffeine can be a common culprit for having trouble falling asleep at night - even if your last cup was hours ago. If this is you, you might try swapping out your coffee or caffeinated tea for a caffeine-free blend that tastes similar.
DANDELION: Because it has a color similar to coffee, incredibly detoxifying dandelion tea is often used as a replacement for caffeine. Try it in Fake Coffee by Big Heart Tea Co, which is reminiscent of your favorite coffee house sip.
CAROB: A superfood, carob is naturally sweet and is great for your digestive system and immunity. Try it in Macadamia Nut Prebiotic Superboost Herbal Tea by Teeccino, which is naturally sweet thanks to dates and is caffeine-free.
CHICORY: Another popular substitute for coffee, chicory root has a nutty flavor and is great for your digestive and immune systems. Try it in Roasted Root Brew by nuJo - it's a cupful of health benefits and a soothing flavor.
BECAUSE YOU’RE DEALING WITH JET LAG:
Whether you’re traveling, working the night shift, or have just had your sleep schedule knocked off balance, these herbal ingredients can help to reset your circadian rhythm.
- GINKGO: Gingko has been shown to help reduce stress and promote relaxation while improving your sleep quality. Try it in Spiced Winter Red by teapigs, which also contains ingredients like rooibos to help with sleep.
- KAVA: Kava is not only great for stress-reduced insomnia, but it also works as a natural sedative, helping to reset your sleep schedule. Try it in Kava Stress Relief by Yogi.
- SKULLCAP: A natural herb, skullcap helps to calm the body’s nervous system, promoting sleep. Try it in Soothing Caramel Bedtime by Yogi along with rooibos, chamomile, and chicory root to gently soothe you to sleep.
SLEEP TEA BOX
Get ready to sail off into dreamland, because the Sleep Tea Box is filled with teas to help you get a calm, restful night's sleep. These highly-rated teas include relaxing ingredients like valerian root, chamomile, lemon balm, and tulsi. No need to count sheep anymore - just sip on one of these delicious teas before bed time and let the feeling of relaxation drift over you as your eyelids grow heavier. Before you know it, it'll be morning!
The statements in this post have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Interested in trying these teas and others? Subscribers receive 4 teas chosen just for them in every box. Learn more here.
About Sips by: We’re a female-founded and led startup that makes discovering tea fun, personalized, and affordable. The Sips by Box is the only multi-brand, personalized tea subscription box. Each month, we match tea drinkers across the U.S. with delicious teas from over 150 global tea brands that we’re sure they’ll love. Based out of Austin, Texas, we are adept at savoring a hot mug even when it’s seasonally inappropriate.